Monday, February 15, 2010

http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2010/1/8/howard_zinn_three_holy_wars

Great talk by the late, great Howard Zinn.

I know I'm not like most people. When I hear a talk like this I always ask what can I do? How can I help? The question assumes something that I think most people who hear a talk like this don't make: that there is still an ongoing struggle for freedom in this country.
Of course the question of how I can help is probably a naive one. There are a million ways I could help. I could hand out flyers for the next talk that Amy Goodman gives. I could raise people's awareness about a subject. But somehow that's not enough for me. I want to be another Howard Zinn or Noam Chomsky. But for eight hours a day, forty hours a week, I'm a programmer. And there isn't a whole lot of help I'm doing for the cause of freedom as a programmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment