Tuesday, February 16, 2010

chomsky's media

I've just bought a book called "The Chomsky-Foucalt debate on Human Nature". I thought the whole, albeit small, book would be dedicated to some epic debate between these two giants of though, but in fact it was several talks and articles given and written by each of the philosophers - the first part dedicated to Chomsky, the second dedicated to Foucalt. I've never read any of Foucalt's work and I enjoy Chomsky's work, so I figured it'd be a nice introduction to Foucalt while I could hedge my bets by having some of Chomsky's work to read if I didn't like Foucault's.
Whenever I read any of Chomsky's work, I inevitably begin to think of the little that I read of his master work with Edward Herman: Manufacturing Consent. I get the sense, always after reading Chomsky, that he's pulled the covers back just a little bit so that I might see what's happening behind the scenes. What's more, whenever I read anything from the mainstream media after a work by Chomsky, I get the sense that there is this monotone condescending voice associated with everything I read. I'm certain this is the "thought control in democratic societies" that Chomsky so often speaks of.

No comments:

Post a Comment